Monday, June 10, 2013

Scripture Memory System



Hiding God's Word in my heart is fundamental to my walk with Christ. It really has made all the difference between a life of victory over a life of defeat, despair, and anxiety. Why? Because the Word of God is alive and active. (Hebrews 4:12) Though words fail me to describe the depth that I believe that-I believe it with every fiber of my being. I have been in situation after situation when quoting scripture either in my mind-or even better out loud-has saved me from a meltdown in more ways than one. (Remember? I'm a worrier by nature. It's what I do.)

But no matter how good my intentions or desires were in wanting to memorize scripture, logistically I couldn't get the hang of it. It never failed how often I couldn't remember them, I would feel like I got a good "hold" on one and forgot the previous one, and so on and so forth. I felt the deep urge to remember it, but utter defeat because I felt like I simply couldn't do it. Until I stumbled upon this method, and that's why I'm so excited to share it with you today. Because maybe-just maybe-you're like me, desperately wanting to hide God's Word in your heart but just not sure how. I hope and pray this helps you as much as it helps me.

Let me begin with this though-before you try anything, pray about it. This may sound silly and like one of those things that should just go without saying, but it was a light bulb kind of moment for me when I began praying over my mind that God will strengthen my ability to remember His Word.
After that, grab an index card holder, index card dividers, and of course, index cards!
Start by making your index card dividers by labeling the following and putting them in this order in your box:
Daily
Even
Odd
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
And finally make a divider for numbers 1-31

You'll start with simply choosing 1 verse and placing it behind the Daily tab. Every day go over that scripture until you feel you have a good handle on it. For me that means 1 week, but it could be different for you, and that's completely fine! There are weeks where I'm just "off" or have a longer portion of scripture and at the end of the week I'm no where near ready for a new one so I stay where I'm at with the current one. But the point is-we are getting somewhere! Even if it's slower at certain times, we're memorizing more than when we're not attempting it at all!

Once you feel good with that first scripture, bump it back to the Even tab and put a new one under the Daily tab. Now you're just going to keep doing this week after week! Here's the basic plan for a daily basis:


Next go to the Even or Odd tab depending on the date.


Then go over whatever is behind that Day.



Finally it is whatever is behind that Date.



So basically each day you will go over:
Daily
Even or Odd depending on the date
Day of the week
Date

(Obviously starting out you won't have all of these tabs filled, just keep going it won't be long!)

A couple of other tips-

Behind the last tab I have a small stack of blank index cards. Whenever I'm reading my Bible or come across a scripture that I feel led to memorize, I jot it down on a blank card.


Then I stick it at the very back, where I keep all the scriptures that I know I want to eventually incorporate into the system and work on memorizing. Each Sunday I go through that little stack and choose my new "Daily" for the week!


A few tips for memorizing the new daily verse-
Post it as many places as you can think of!! The more you see it throughout the day, even without really thinking about it, the easier it will be to remember it! I always have a card with that scripture in the corner of my bathroom mirror, and on our "Verse of the Week" board in the kitchen:

I also take a picture of that scripture card with my cell phone and have a folder on my phone that is just scripture memory. Whenever I'm stuck in traffic or waiting somewhere, I try to work on that instead of jumping on to Facebook or checking email for the 900th time.

Whatever method works best for you, I just urge you to keep at it! Even when you don't think you can remember one more thing-pray about it and commit to the Lord this desire and I promise He will blow you away with His faithfulness towards you! If you have any questions, or want prayer over this area of your life-please let me know! Feel free to comment down below or email me! I'd love to answer any questions or pray with you. Have a great week friends!

Linking up with: Happy Wives Club, Jolene, Ruth, Some of the Best Things in Life are Mistakes, Mom's The Word, Julie, Logan, Create with Joy, Sara Elizabeth,

16 comments:

  1. What a great idea! My mind is churning thinking of how I can adapt this for my kiddos for their school time. Found your on A Mama's Story - happy to be your newest follower! -Penny Lane @ SistersRaisingSisters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny Lane, I'm so glad you mentioned that because adapting this for kids is totally do-able with this project! Pick short verses and let them help decorate the box! Hope it goes well!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining our momma notes. You are an encouragement to me and countless other moms. We would be delighted to have you link up this post or another again.

    Monday ... join the melody.

    Simply slip your post into the link up. You can grab the button if you would like as well. I'll start the splash on Mondays. And I know the filled to the brim momma schedules ... so join us any day of the week and link up.

    Happy day,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. I was wondering the best way to review. We've been working on new verses through the week and reciting everything we had learned on the weekends but its getting to be quite a long list! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene-that's exactly what I was doing to! The list was getting daunting and I knew it wasn't going to last in the long run. This has really helped us and I hope it helps you too!

      Delete
  4. I love this organized idea and have used index cards for scripture often but never in such a system! Might have to try this one...hope I get it right. I think I get it but- will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I know it can get a little confusing! Please let me know if I can help!

      Delete
  5. Love this, and how detailed your tutorial is. I am going to link this to my final post in a current series I'm doing on spiritual disciplines - I hope you don't mind

    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Marissa! I hope it helps your readers as well!

      Delete
  6. Great idea! Love your system. I've been brainstorming about ways I can improve the way I do scripture memory and this is very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to memorize scripture! I'm always intrigued by different systematic ways to do that. Kudos for this one I'd never come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fawn, and thanks for the great link up as always!

      Delete
  8. I love this but I'm just not getting it. Maybe because I'm too tired, lol! So all the card go under the "odd" or even" and on those odd or even days you memorize whatever cards are behind that label.

    Then what are the days and numbers for? I'm just a little confused as you can tell. I know "daily" I memorize what's on the card, and when I feel like I have it I move it to "odd or even" and then refresh myself with it every other day. At the same time I am memorizing the daily.

    So when does a card move to the date? Does that mean you go over it once a month? Can't wait to try this once I figure it out! Thanks so much for linking up to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, let me say it does sound complicated and I might have explained it funny as well! When you begin to memorize a new scripture simply put it behind the first tab-which would be the daily tab. Work on that scripture and when you feel you have it down back it up one tab-which would be even-and add a new scripture to daily. You will continue with this method, adding a new scripture to daily when ready and bumping each card back a tab until eventually all the tabs are full.
      To give you an example of what to go over each day let me tell you what I went through today:
      Daily
      Odd (because it was June 11-odd number)
      Tuesday
      11 (because of June 11 again)
      Does this help at all? If not please let me know! It is hard to grasp at first I agree, but once you get the flow it's worked really well for us.

      Delete