Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies

Let's talk about no bake cookies. Growing up, that word was kind of taboo in my family, it was on the same level as bringing in a cake mix from the store and announcing you were going to make a cake!
Um...no you're not. (I still feel utter shame when I stoop to such levels. Not that I do or anything.)

However-there was this one single no bake cookie recipe that was always gladly welcomed and happily devoured. And this is the one. And I couldn't be more thrilled to share it with you all, because
A.) It's early June and you already can't find a day in the local 7 day forecast below the mid 90's. I do not want to turn on the giant kitchen heater. (oven. I'm just dramatic sometimes-I blame it on the rising temps).
B.) Though hot, it's gorgeous weather out here, let's skip as many steps in the kitchen as possible. Am I right or am I right? I've got a swim to get to and tan to work on.
C.) Peanut butter, gooey goodness. Let's just stop right there.

Let's jump in!


(Please disregard the giant bag of sugar. No I was not expecting a ration, but remember the time I had that strawberry party? Apparently I'm a bad judge of how much sugar I would need. Let's pretend I don't have another one of those beasts sitting in my pantry that's not pictured. Attention neighbors: yes, you may borrow a cup of sugar. For the next 2 years.)

Printable Recipe

4 cups Special K cereal (original)
18 oz. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup white Karo syrup

(If you notice more ingredients in the pictures than necessary it's because I was doubling this batch, which you can easily do!)

Mix Karo syrup and sugar in a medium sized saucepan, before putting it on the heat.


Then put it on low to medium heat. (Notice I changed from a rubber spatula here. Some lessons you learn the hard way.)


You're not wanting the mixture to come to a boil, simply letting the sugar break down until the mixture is thinner. Just about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. While this is on the stove get the cereal ready by measuring it out and crunching it up a bit with your hands. There's not any precise-ness to this, you just want to make the cereal a bit smaller than it is. Growing up this is the part my mom always let me help with, crunching cereal with my little hands was a blast for some reason.


See how the mixture is dripping off the spoon and it's a lot easier to stir around? It's ready!


Remove from the heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla.


Mix well and try not to dive in and head first. No judging here if you do.


Pour this delicious mixture over your cereal.


Mix well and drop by spoons onto either waxed paper or Tupperware.


Don't refrigerate these cookies, just let them set up on the counter. Or if you're like us, grab a spoon because you can't possibly wait any longer. Enjoy friends!



Printable version found here!

Linking up with: Nikki, Jacinda, Feeding Big, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Make Ahead Meals, Pint Sized Baker, The Recipe Critic, Watch Out, Martha, Beth, Mandy, Stacey, and Mandy.

4 comments:

  1. yum! I love no bake recipes for summer. Your blog is super cute, I'm glad I found it! I'd love for you to share this over at my Ginger Jamboree Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the "no baking" when it's hot! I'm so trying your recipe!! It looks delicious! Thanks so much for the follow...following you back! Would love for you to share this on my "Doing YOU WELL Wednesday" link-up. Have a blessed evening!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fabulous. Love the NO BAKE too...and the Peanut Butter...AND the cereal. Oh yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This recipe looks delicious! Thank you for sharing!


    Lindsey @ Emmylane.net

    ReplyDelete