Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- Black Beans & Rice

This dish is a personal favorite of ours. It was one of the very first things I ever made for us a few evenings after we got married, so every time I make it, it brings back sweet memories of our very first days as newlyweds and living out of boxes not able to find a thing I needed. But I was with my new husband in a tiny place that was just ours and I was absolutely smitten.
I still am.
And I still love this dish. It's super easy, super versatile and super delicious. I've even made this to entertain with and was a big hit! I think you'll love this one as well, so let's get started!

Printable Recipe

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained
1 can of Rotel
1 can corn

Heat a pan over medium heat and add olive oil, onion, and garlic, letting this sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions get translucent.

Add rice and sauté for 2 minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, letting it simmer for 20 minutes.

Lastly, add in the black beans, Rotel, corn, and spices.

Mix up this delicious-ness and let it heat through for about 10-15 minutes.

Wrap this up in a tortilla and top with shredded cheese for an instant delicious meal. Or scoop it up with chips or my personal favorite way is just in a bowl with a fork! This is also one of my favorite leftover meals because the flavors just mix more with time. Enjoy friends!

Printable version found here!

Linking up with Mandy, Emily, The Time Warp Wife, Jacinda, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Make Ahead Meals, Karyn, Alyssa, and Beth.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my...this looks amazing!! So making this soon :) Yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good, thank you for the helpful pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you all love it as much as we do ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Friend Connect Blog Hop.
    Cohost @JLenniDorner

    Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete