Monday, September 8, 2014

Tasty Tuesday Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Hi friends and welcome to another Tasty Tuesday!  Thanks for coming by!

There are some soups that do much more than taste good, they just make you feel good. This is one of them for me.  The first time I ever made it the Mr. and I were just engaged babies who had a weekly Tuesday night date with a strict budge (zero) and a strict rule (no talk of homework, work, or wedding planning).  Looking back it was typically always a hectic day with classes and so many times I wanted to just pick up food, but financially it wasn't an option.  And I'm so grateful for that.  It was a fun time of trying new slow cooker recipes that I could swing by the Mr.'s duplex in the morning and throw something in the slow cooker that his grandparents had blessed us with for Christmas.  When we met back there at the end of the day we had a yummy (most of the time) meal and would watch anything funny all evening and relax and reconnect.  This soup became a fast favorite.  The first night we tried it we ate on it all evening.  Just kept going back for bowl after bowl until we had such a small amount left we barely had lunch leftovers for the next day.  

Today this soup reminds me of our Tuesday night dates when we were engaged, and it doesn't hurt that the flavor is incredible and the prep time is next to nothing.  This is also a meal I make sure is always on hand in the freezer for a rainy or sick day.  Also quick note-if you're out of chicken breasts or if you have extra cooked chicken on hand it works perfectly in this dish.  Just replace the frozen chicken breasts  in it and don't cook it as long, we do this often when we just really want some of this soup!!  Rotisserie chicken is also great in a pinch here!  Here's what you'll need...


-4 frozen chicken breasts (or cooked chicken)
-2 onions, chopped
-2 tablespoons minced garlic
-1 1/2 packets of taco seasoning
-1 can whole kernel corn, drained
-1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-3 cups chicken broth
-1 (8 oz.) tomato sauce
-1 can diced tomatoes, undrained 

Start by sautéing the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until softened.

Then toss everything in the slow cooker and turn it on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8 hours (or until chicken is cooked thoroughly)

Before serving shred chicken with forks, then enjoy!!
Printable version found here!
Now on to the party!  Last week's features were...





If you've been featured feel free to grab a featured button here:


Or regular party button here:






17 comments:

  1. Your soup sound delicious - I am so eager for the cooler nights when we can enjoy lots of soups again. Thanks for sharing your sweet engagement story. We have some meals that really bring back memories of times past as well.
    Thanks for hosting. Wishing you a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Thanks for hosting! This week I'm sharing my vegan Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffin recipe which can also be made into a cake or loaf.
    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feature! I'm sharing a new wings recipe this week....perfect for Game Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I'm joining your party today and thank you for it!!
    My husband would definitely love your soup :) (I'm a vegetarian)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tortilla soup looks amazing!
    When my husband and I were engaged we had Saturday breakfast together and made waffles, hash browns, eggs, bacon. That's what your story reminded me of.
    I pinned your recipe. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello beautiful! It is a pleasure to be a part of your party each week. Please come and party with us. We would be so tickled. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Tuesday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hosting! You soup looks really good, and perfect for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the party~ Your soup is perfect for the chilly weather ahead:) Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for hosting. Have a wonderful week!
    Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for featuring my recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New to the party.. Happy to have found you! The Steak & Onion Sandwich feature looks nummy yummy!! Have a terrific week! ~Cheer, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for hosting. I love soup, but I also love summer. This will be great when it does eventually get cooler.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Chicken Tortilla soup looks yummy Stephanie! As always, thank you for hosting the party and sharing your wonderful recipes!
    Julie@ Sweet and Spicy Monkey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I added my recipe on this linky party and added the button on my blog. I now follow you on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Hope you follow back if you wish :) Will have a look at all the great recipes and will visit blogs. Thanks for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the invite to link up! Fun Party! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love crockpot recipes! I've never made chicken tortilla soup before, but am excited to try it out now! :D!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so good! Pinned. We appreciate you being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We love to party with you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete