Monday, June 30, 2014

Of boats and seas Part 1

This post is too near and dear to my heart to try to squeeze it all in 1 post, so at risk of rambling on til Thursday, I will post the second half of this next Monday.  I hope you'll join me then.
21 years ago this Wednesday it was a hot Saturday night in July and I was a seven year old girl with a burden on her heart that would not go away.
I was young and I didn't know much-but I knew I was lost. I knew I needed Jesus.  
That night on my lavender and white bed my parents talked me through the most important decision of my life, and I accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior.  

That night began a burning passion in my heart for Him, for His Word.  I could not get enough.  I still remember spending so many evenings on the floor of my little bedroom sprawled out on my stomach with an open Precious Moments Bible and starting with page 1.  Getting to word 12 and having to run back downstairs and find my mom, to find out-what does this mean??  Running all the way back to my bedroom floor and getting to about word 20 before I had to do it again.  And again.  And again.  

To say I read Genesis 1, or at least the first half, of Genesis 1 a hundred times might not be much of an exaggeration.  

Each night would typically end with me feeling frustrated, but telling God, I know that if I can ever understand this Book, I will never be able to get enough of it.

While I've been wrong about many, many things in those 21 years since that day-that was not one of them.  I have had a burning passion for His Word ever since that has never been able to be quenched.  

But somewhere between all those years, all those nights trying to study the Bible, all those sermons I sat through and Bible study classes I attended something got lost in translation for me.  

My God is many things...
Good (Psalm 34:8)
Sovereign (Isaiah 43:13)
Powerful (Matthew 19:26)
Able (Ephesians 3:20)
King (Psalms 29:10)
Most High (Psalms 47:2)
Holy (Isaiah 43:15)
Eternal (1 Timothy 1:17)
Lord (Deuteronomy 4:39)
Exalted (1 Chronicles 29:11)
Provision (Psalm 121:12)
Creator (Genesis 1:1)
Everlasting (Lamentations 5:19)
Intercessor (Hebrews 7:25)
Worthy (Revelation 4:11)
Ruler (1 Chronicles 29:12)
Merciful (Deuteronomy 4:31)
Compassion (Psalms 116:5)
Healer (Exodus 15:26)
Shepherd (Psalms 23)
Righteous (2 Corinthians 5:21)
Forgiving (Psalms 86:5)
Omnipresent (Psalms 139:7-12)
Holy (Isaiah 6:2-3)
Just (Isaiah 30:18)
All-Knowing (Isaiah 48:3)
Faithful (1 Corinthians 1:9)
Savior (Isaiah 45:21-22)
Potter (Isaiah 64:8)


To say I'm skimming the surface with this list is an understatement. 

But one thing I've learned He is not.

Safe.

And that I learned the hard way.

Part 2 next Monday.




Linking up with:  Momstheword, A Proverbs 31 Wife, Sweet Sharing Monday, The Modest Mom Blog    

No comments:

Post a Comment