Monday, July 14, 2014

A Runner who Doesn't Run

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3

I'm not a runner.  I've always wanted to be one.  Just once I'd like to say, hey babe...going for a run.  Sounds so cool. But every time I try (which isn't often) I have this whole can't breathe feeling and freak out and stop and slow down to a crawl.  Saying, hey babe...going for a crawl...just doesn't have the same cool-ness effect.  So I typically don't do that either.  (Just keepin it real.)

But the truth is I've been called to run.  Run hard.  Not in the athletic sense necessarily, but in the Christian walk.  This call on my life changes everything for me.  It reminds me it's not how you start the race, it's how you finish.

So it's not how you begin the marriage, it's how you finish.
It's not how you begin the job, it's how you finish.
It's not how you begin the day, it's how you finish.
Because ultimately, Jesus didn't die on the cross for me to simply begin this race well-but to finish it well.  
Run.  Not sit on the sidelines and commenting on other runners.  We've got a whole world of spectators.

When we don't run well the world will notice.  The world is watching us, wondering if our Jesus is real and if He really makes a difference.  When we don't run well the world won't be impressed with our Savior-that's huge to me.  Because my Jesus is very real, and He really does make a difference.

It goes without saying though, that running the Christian walk is hard.  Ultimately the only way it will happen is when I get out of the way and let Christ in me, the hope of glory, work through me.  
All grace.  
After all, it was a work of grace that put me on this course to begin with, and that is how I will remain on the course as well. 
And by grace alone we can finish it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment