Wednesday, August 6, 2014

DIY Chalkboard Decorative Plates

I love DIY projects as much as the next gal, but I hardly ever have a few good free hours to devote to getting all the supplies together and completing the project and making a good old mess.  I wish I did but I just don't.  So when this DIY project popped into my head I knew it was just for me-cute, fun, simple and quick!!  

You can absolutely use these decorative chalkboard plates anywhere in the house, but the kitchen was my favorite spot!  Whether you want to leave a quick note, the upcoming menu, or an encouraging word, this is a super cute way to do it!  Here's what you'll need...


Chalkboard paint
Painter's tape
Paint brush
Plates (one's you don't want to eat on!!  This is a great way to use mismatched or chipped pieces you love, or find cheap ones at a garage sale or thrift store that you like the rims!)

Begin by deciding if you want to make the entire inner part of the plate a chalkboard or just a stripe of it.  I decided to do some of both, so I used the painter's tape to mark where I wanted the paint to be.


Next apply 2 coats of the chalkboard paint in even strokes and let dry for 24 hours.

When the paint is fully dry in 24 hours grab your chalk!!  Prepare the chalkboard by simply covering the entire painted surface in chalk and wiping away.  After that you're done!  (I'm assuming this is how all chalkboard paint works-but double check the instructions on your can of paint to make sure!  It should be very easy to work with like mine thought.)




This was such a fun afternoon project and the possibilities with these are endless!  







6 comments:

  1. All these chalk paint ideas are making me very happy! Thanks for share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love finding pretty plates at thrift stores, but never have any unique ideas for them. This is a perfect, fun, project, and I can't wait to give it a try!
    Thank you for sharing at Wake Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had the same problem! I never really want to eat on them but didn't know what else to do with them!

      Delete
  3. Very creative idea! I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams, starts on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party.

    ReplyDelete