Monday, July 28, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Garden Vegetable Lasagna & Link Up

Hi friends and welcome to another Tasty Tuesday!  I'm so glad you're here!

Today I share an absolute favorite of mine, which just happens to be the perfect way to use up some of those delicious Summer veggies.  While this may not be the fastest dish to prepare with all the chopping involved it is well worth it.  
Either visit your backyard garden or the local farmer's market and try this one right away.   This is the perfect spin on a classic lasagna, and paired with a simple salad you've got a delicious and veggie-packed meal.  Here's what you'll need...
Extra virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups chopped zucchini
2 cups chopped yellow squash
2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups chopped broccoli
1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I used low-fat)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
8-10 lasagna noodles, cooked


After chopping all the veggies, heat a small drizzle of olive oil in the pan and add the onion.  Once they start turning a bit translucent add the garlic for about 3-4 minutes.


Scoop these into a bowl and set aside.  Then add the squash and zucchini to the pan until they start to soften and barely brown.

Scoop these out into the bowl with onion and garlic and throw in your carrots.  Once they start to soften add the broccoli as well.

Once these are soft but still have a slight bite to them, add these to the bowl with the other veggies, salt, and mix together.  Then set aside.

Moving right along.  In a medium sauce pan over medium heat combine the flour with the milk, whisking constantly until you get a small boil (really just a few large bubbles) and the mixture gets thick.  Once it does take it off the heat and add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.  Once that's smooth stir in the spinach.

Now for your last step before assembling, in a separate bowl combine the cottage cheese with 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese and stir well.

Ok it's time to start assembling the lasagna!!
Coat the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish begin with 1/2 cup of the spinach sauce.  This is will just barely coat the dish and that's exactly what we want (and it keeps us from having to grease it!)
Arrange a layer of noodles on top of that.

Top this with half of the cottage cheese mixture.
Then half of the veggie mixture.
Then repeat all the layers again, ending with noodles.  Top it off with remaining spinach mixture over noodles and parmesan and mozzarella cheese.


Bake this in a 375 degree oven covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 20 minutes or until the top is nice and golden brown.
Here it is in all it's hot bubbly delicious-ness.
Printable version found here!


Now on to the party!  Last week's features are....




If you were featured feel free to grab a featured button here:
Or the regular party button here:






62 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting! Love your veggie lasagna! This week I'm sharing
    Berrylicious Pancakes.I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one great looking lasagna...pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This lasagna looks awesome! My kids would eat their veggies this way, too. Pinned! And thanks for the party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blair, this is a really great way to pack a lot of veggies into one dish! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the party and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thrilled that you featured my French Tarragon Chicken. I had several people email me this week saying they had made it and they were very happy with it. So now I am double happy.

    Madonna
    MakeMineLemon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking it up Madonna, it looked wonderful!

      Delete
  6. Your lasagna looks amazing! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lasagna looks wonderful! Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you enjoyed your weekend and thank you for hosting!!

    Heather
    MySweetMission.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous dish! I bet it is worth cutting all those veggies. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, it was absolutely worth it! We devoured it AND all the leftovers!

      Delete
  10. That Garden Vegetable Lasagna looks amazing! Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for hosting Mrs! Love your party. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your lasagna looks so delicious! I love how you tuck so many yummy veggies into it. Pinning!
    Thanks for hosting your lovely party. Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin Karen! It really is such a delicious way to get in so many veggies!!

      Delete
  13. I just pinned your yummy looking vegetable lasagna. Thanks for sharing and hosting as always.
    Also, I loved your other post about the prayer room.
    I guess I could have left a separate comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thank you so much for coming by the link up, and for the sweet note on the prayer room post. I appreciate your encouragement so much friend!

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for inviting me Stephanie. what a fun link party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting! I love how you combine the flavors of summer in the lasagna. This would be a great recipe to make for a friend in need if you double the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, I so agree with you, and I would love to be that friend who receives it :)

      Delete
  16. Thank you for the feature on my gluten free pizza base! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your lasagne looks fantastic. Pinned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Garden Vegetable Lasagna looks so good! Can I come over for dinner? :) As always, thanks for hosting the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, wouldn't that be the funnest?! To enjoy all of these amazing recipes we all share under the stars in a backyard dinner!!

      Delete
  19. Mm! Loving all those veggies added to lasagna! Yummy, yummy!

    I linked up some Quinoa Black Bean Taco Lettuce Cups! Such a quick and easy meal!

    Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, the lettuce cups look absolutely delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing!

      Delete
  20. This looks amazing. I love veggie lasagna!
    I would be honored to have you hop over and share with us at Inspire Us Tuesday.
    http://twolittlecavaliers.com/2014/07/inspire-us-tuesdays-diy-recipes-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite Felissa, I will stop by now!

      Delete
  21. Um, can we say YUM? Your lasagna looks AMAZING. (Now I'm starving just looking at it.) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I had to laugh when I read your comment because as I was editing these photos I had to warm up a little piece myself!!

      Delete
  22. I love veggie lasagna great idea for summer. Thanks for the invite to the party have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea for a summer dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello cute lady! Thank you for hosting. I love stopping by your fun party. Please come and party with us. We would love to have you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Tuesday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kimberly! I love your party as well!!

      Delete
  25. Oh my gosh! That lasagna looks amazing! Thanks for hosting - have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  26. That lasagna looks amazing! <3 I have a pack of lasagna noodles I've been wanting to use up! This looks like an awesome use for it! :]

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your lasagna looks so delicious! Now that the weather is cooling down a bit, maybe I will get a chance to try it! Thanks for hosting the wonderful party!!
    Julie@ Sweet and Spicy Monkey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I hope you love it as much as we did! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  28. Wow! What a great recipe. That lasagna looks incredible and I love all of those vegetables. Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Cynthia, I always enjoy your Link Party too!!

      Delete
  29. This looks delicious and I can't wait to give it a try! Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Shannon, I hope you love it!

      Delete
  30. Hello cute lady! Thanks for hosting. I'm loving it! Please come and party with us. We would be thrilled to have you. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete